How to Identify Pure Kanjivaram Silk Sarees with Simple Tests
Kanjivaram silk sarees, also known as Kanchipuram silk sarees, are a symbol of traditional elegance and grandeur in India. They are made from pure Mulberry silk and are handwoven by skilled artisans. Kanjivaram silk sarees are known for their unmatched elegance and sophistication. These sarees are famous for their rich texture, intricate designs, and vibrant colours.
With the increasing demand for these sarees, it is imperative to know how to identify a pure Kanjivaram silk saree to avoid being scammed. In this blog, we will shed light on the secrets of identifying pure Kanjivaram silk sarees.
Characteristics of a Pure Kanjivaram Silk Saree
1. The fabric should be soft, smooth, and have a slight sheen
2. The designs should be intricate and elaborate
3. The border and pallu of the saree should be heavier than the body of the saree
4. The Kanjivaram saree should have a characteristic “Zari” or gold threadwork
How to Check the Quality of Silk?
1. Silk should be soft to the touch and have a slight sheen
2. The silk should have a uniform texture and not have any rough patches
3. The silk should be strong and not tear easily
The Zari or Gold Threadwork
1. The zari or gold threadwork should be of high quality and not appear dull or faded
2. The zari should be evenly spread across the saree and should not have any loose threads
3. The zari should be closely woven and not have any gaps
The Designs and Patterns
1. Pure Kanjivaram silk sarees are known for their intricate designs and patterns
2. The designs should be finely crafted and should not appear crude or rough
3. The colours should be bright and vibrant and should not fade easily
The Weight of the Saree
1. Pure Kanjivaram silk sarees are heavier than regular silk sarees due to the gold threadwork
2. The weight of the saree should be evenly distributed and should not appear lopsided
How to identify a pure Kanjivaram silk saree using the 5 tests?
1. Zari Test
One of the easiest ways to test the purity of a Kanjivaram silk sarees is using the Zari test. The Zari of pure Kanjivaram sarees is made from gold threads or wrapped silver threads with silk threads. Scrape the zari a little and if you find red threads then it is pure gold Zari. If it is not pure Zari then you would see white threads.
2. Touch Test
To identify a pure Kanjivaram silk saree from an imitation saree you can do it by holding the silk saree in your hands. Kanchipuram/Kanjivaram silk sarees have a smooth glossy finish, so when rubbing your hands on the saree it should feel soft and a difference in the temperature of your palm. If you feel a rough texture or patch and no variance in temperature then it is not authentic.
3. Lustre Test
Kanjivaram silk sarees have a natural sheen which is one of their primary characteristics. Take the Kanjivaram silk saree out in the sunlight and observe it from different angles and notice how the saree shines. If the Kanjivaram silk saree has no shine and is dull in the sunlight then it is a fake one.
4. Ring Test
Kanjivaram silk sarees are made from Mulberry silk which is smooth in nature and can easily slide through rings. Ring tests are easy and help you identify the authenticity of the Kanjivaram silk saree. Take a ring which is not too small and let the Kanjivaram saree pass through it, if the saree passes through the ring easily then you can be assured that it is an original Kanjivaram saree.
5. Hallmark Test
This is the most important of all the factors that are used to check if a Kanjivaram silk saree is authentic or not. Look for the hallmark sign which is given by the Silk Mark Organisation of India to know that the kanjivaram silk saree is pure.
Knowing how to identify a pure Kanjivaram silk saree can save you from falling prey to scams. Look for the characteristics mentioned above to ensure that you are purchasing a genuine Kanjivaram silk saree. Kanjivaram silk sarees are a symbol of traditional elegance and sophistication. By keeping the characteristics mentioned above in mind, you can ensure that you are purchasing a pure Kanjivaram silk saree. These sarees are an investment, and by following these tips, you can ensure that your investment is well worth it.
Also, shopping from trusted brands that are known for silk sarees will save you time and money. Buy pure Kanjivaram silk sarees from Tulsi Silks, who is trusted by millions for over 11 years. Visit our website and shop the exquisite collection of silk sarees.
While you are here, read our other blogs and know more about everything sarees.